Sunday, June 24, 2012

Done ahead of time! Finally

Yep, July's Country Cottage Needlework  is done and ready! I really got stuck on April, May and June, but when I saw the July cottage, I really liked it and it was a quick stitch. I used a Silkweavers light blue material, instead of the tan it shows on the model.

I think it took me just 2-3 days to stitch and when I finished it I headed to the only place around town to get material....WalMart. I wasn't that thrilled with their selection, but I found something and got busy and "finished" it. I have the darnedest time with those covered buttons, but I think it came out nicely and even got a comment from Carl that this was the best one yet!

My 2nd little finish has actually been done a while ago, but I wanted to save it until I had the box done. Meari has hosted several online "classes" for finishing so I joined her latest box class. I have finished boxes before, but it never hurts taking a class to see if you can "perfect" your talents! I stitched the JBW design French Country Love but totally changed the look of the pattern by using PTP Diva and some Carries hand dyed threads.


I thought I had plenty of room, but in the end, it barely fit on my top! I looked for some small trim. No luck. But when I head to the bigger city I will keep my eye out for something to add to it.

This is what the model looks like!

I also started a Christmas stocking for my son's best friend who just had a baby boy. I have made something for him before, so I know he APPRECIATES home made items. Believe me, I wouldn't make something for someone who doesn't. This is different from my Mystic with ALL the back stitching. I am doing that as I go, so I won't miss something. The ship in the bottle and several other areas will be stitched over one. This is one of the last CSCC stockings called Sportsman's Dream.

Amberlyn came over for the evening and spent the night, she got her first ride around the neighborhood on Papa's motorcycle. Apparently she kept telling him where to turn and when she saw the ice cream store, she wanted to head in that direction! Smart girl!!!! The cut under her eye is from a bike accident earlier in the week. NOT from my house!
Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the dog days of summer!

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE the color changes you made - they made that design brilliant! Nice job on July, also - it's very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudette! When I got that material in the Fabric of the month club I knew I HAD to use it!

      Delete
  2. July looks fabulous!! Love your finished box. That class was so much fun.

    Amberlyn looks so comfortable on that bike!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. July is my favorite of the cottages so far and yours is wonderful, Nancy! I think I may just stitch that one myself :)

    Very pretty box finish, too. That's something I still need to try at some point. Just too busy having fun making these little pillows!

    That is quite a stocking for your son's friend's baby!! It's so nice to know that some men actually appreciate all the work that goes into stitching...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, I think the July cottage would be great for your smalls basket! It might be a bit big, but you could do it over one. It would make a cute small pillow too. I'm going to show the couple the start of the stocking this weekend.

      Delete
  4. love the cottage. love the july cottage. the box came out beautiful. you have be busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! I like having a few small finishes now that the BIG one is done. I haven't started another large one yet!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your finishes Nancy. I really love the colour scheme on your box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your box is lovely. What a nice place to store treasures! And i really like the pattern you chose for the top. Plus your July 4 piece is adorable! I need to find a similar Canada Day piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stitching and the box are awesome. Congrats on the early finish of July cottage, I'm a little behind with mine...

    I have tagged you on my blog.

    Evalina, This and that...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nancy,
    I've awarded your blog. Please check it out.
    http://shelleysartsyfartsylife.blogspot.com/2012/07/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. The July cottage seems to have been a really quick stitch for you. And you finished it so beautifully. And so you did with the box. It's really amazing how different a design can look depending on the fabric and thread colours.
    That stocking certainly has a lot of backstitching. The only way backstitching doesn't get too boring is to do it as you go, I think. I'm also working on a piece with lots of BS and have half of it finished but haven't done the BS. Now I'm kind of stuck with backstitching. It's soooo boring ... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, Nancy, your July cottage is wonderful. I love it!!! I keep liking them, and I'm really NOT a CCN fan, lol. But if I continue to love them all, I may have to get the patterns and stitch them myself!!! Ahh, someday. And they look great on the motorcycle. Ice cream, yum!!! She's most definitely got the right idea, lol. Hope you're having a good summer Nancy!!! Now I'm off to answer your eleven questions. Fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and finding time for leaving a comment!